Monday, August 13, 2007

Today was my first ever German class. It was in German...and I don't mean we were learning German, I mean the guy pretty much only spoke German. I am told that this is the best way to learn a language, but will have to test that out myself. There were 5 of us in the class. The retired lawer from Britain, who must be learning for her own pleasure. The 40 something Vietnamese housewife who only speaks Vietnamese. Then there were the 3 Au pairs...myself, the Australian, and ironically the Vietnamese Canadian who translates what little we could figure out to the Vietnamese. Then the only guy who comes in 45 mins late, is a Kenyan born bakery assistant who comes from England. On the plus side, the three au pairs are all age 22 and are desperately trying to find people our age in this city! Hopefully this week we will get together for drinks in the evening.

Other than that, not much else has happened. I got lost trying to find a church on Sunday and missed the entire worship, which I don't think was so bad. I got a nice walk in, and the church ended up being pretty bad. I came into the children's sermon, and when the adult sermon started, I couldn't tell a difference, other than the pastor changed. Then, realizing that I forgot a key to the house, I went to meet the family at their church for lunch. Thinking I knew my way there...I got off on the right bus stop, but turned down the wrong street. After a nice walk through the fields I realized as I approached the German Border that this was not the way to the church, thankfully this was the first day it had not rained in a few days. So clearly nothing too exciting is going on...I am still awaiting a Swiss adapter to use with my computer. Hope everything is doing well.

2 comments:

Bebo said...

okay so 1 more comment from me. It sounds like church spoken in German is probly not that interesting yet lol. I know u probly kinda far from Geneva Switz since it is near the French border and you are near the German...but if you ever get a chance to go out there go to Crossroads church. It is an English speaking church with tons of international people from all around the world. My old youth pastor Larry works there..Larry Lloyd. Him and his family are possibly the most wonderful people in the entire world. Definitely add it to the list if u get a chance! Love u Anna P

Cheri said...

I hope you get to read this...I actually am only about 1 hour from geneva by train. But I go to the crossroads church here in Basel. I have to go there sometime before I go home for christmas...I might just look them up.